Hours of Operation
Park: 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. daily
Adventure Playground Waterplay (in season): 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Big Four® Bridge: Open 24/7
Park restrooms are open daily, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Restrooms must be closed and winterized each year in early November because they are not heated. They reopen in late March or early April, depending upon the weather.
The Blue (Wharf) parking lot is a pay-to-enter lot operated by PARC (Louisville Metro’s Parking Authority). All other lots in the park are free and for park users only. Parking lots are open during park hours, 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. See the map for parking locations.
Rates in the Blue lot vary according to time of day and event activity, but Joe’s Crab Shack and Belle of Louisville patrons can park for $3 with proof of visit.
On-street parking is available at meters on the south side of Witherspoon Street and on the north side of River Road east of the Kennedy Bridge. A pay to park lot is available on the south side of River Road across from the Tan lot.
There are three picnic areas in the park: Orange, Tan & Yellow, adjacent to — you guessed it — the Orange, Tan & Yellow parking lots. Each picnic area has picnic tables and park grills. Picnic areas may not be reserved and are first-come, first-served. Please be considerate of other park users and clean up after you are finished, bag your garbage, and place it beside a park trash container. Have a great picnic!
Information for Boaters
There are two sets of docks in Waterfront Park, one in the Great Lawn Harbor and one adjacent to Towhead Island. Docking is free and is first-come, first-served. Docks may be closed during large events, so call ahead for information (502.574.3768). Boaters who wish to dock overnight must call ahead for permission or fill out our online form. Boaters are required to provide contact and boat information (name, phone number where you can be reached, boat name and registration number) before docking. Boats without permission that are left untended may be towed. Water and electric hookups may be available but cannot be guaranteed.
Wheel Fun Rentals, located near the Big Four® Bridge, is the independently operated bike rental facility in the park. Please contact them directly at 502.589.2453 for rental fees and other information, or visit their website.
Big Four® Concessions is a locally owned food vendor that operates at the base of the Big Four® Bridge. They are open Noon – 8pm daily and offer bottled water, cold drinks, hot dogs, snacks, ice cream and other portable food items.
Big Four® Bridge Rules
- No pets.
- No events are allowed on the Big Four® Bridge — the bridge is too narrow and crowded for organized events.
- No skateboards/in-line skates.
- No motorized vehicles (scooters, mopeds, motorcycles, cars/trucks).
- HOWEVER, personal mobility scooters and motorized wheelchairs ARE allowed.
- Service animals.
- Bikes of all kinds.
- Service vehicles (motorized wheelchairs, staff/security vehicles).
- Family fun!
- Dates – romance!
You know we’ve got’em – that’s what makes the world go round. Please take a moment to review the rules below so you don’t have any surprises when you come to visit!
- Please don’t bring your grill. Park grills are available in the picnic areas by the two playgrounds.
- No anchored tents – tent pegs can damage the irrigation system.
- Events or gatherings of more than 50 people require an event permit.
- Dogs are allowed in the majority of the park, but they must be kept on leash. They are allowed everywhere in the park EXCEPT in the playgrounds, waterplay, water feature, and Big Four® Bridge.
- No food sales or distribution unless permitted by the Waterfront Development Corporation (WDC).
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted unless associated with an event.
- No littering! Please deposit trash into the closest trash receptacle. If you are cleaning up after a picnic or similar gathering, please bag your trash and place the bags beside a park trash receptacle.
- Performances or rallies, commercial activity, and distribution of any materials is not allowed without WDC’s permission.
- No fires or bonfires allowed.
- Please don’t climb on park railings.
- Please don’t tie anything to the trees or use them to anchor objects of any kind, as this can cause damage.
- No glass containers allowed in the park.
- Please don’t put stickers of any kind anywhere in the park.
- Inflatables are not allowed unless they are part of a permitted event.
- We love pick-up football or soccer games on the Great Lawn, but please – no league play! And no cleats – they damage the turf.
- No skateboards are allowed in the park, including the Big Four® Bridge.
Please check out the FAQs for more information.