Below is a brief timeline of Louisville’s waterfront development efforts.
- Waterfront Development Corporation created by interlocal agreement.
- First Board Meeting.
- Public forums determine community wants/needs for Waterfront Park.
- Facelift begins with the acquisition and clearing of properties.
- Hargreaves Associates selected as Master Plan designer.
- Private fundraising campaign begins for Phase I.
- More than $14 million in private donations are pledged, matched by $12.5 million from the state.
Ground broken for Waterfront Park.
- RiverWalk completed to Shawnee Park.
- The Wharf is completed.
- Waterfront Park hosts its first concert series, at the Wharf.
- Plans announced to locate Louisville Slugger Field in the Waterfront District.
- Joe’s Crab Shack opens.
- Linear Park and Children’s Play Area open.
- Great Lawn dedicated and opened.
- Phase I dedicated and opened.
- Docks installed.
- Harbor Lawn opened.
- Widening of River Road completed.
- Construction started on Waterfront Park Place.
- Phase II opened to the public.
- Construction begins on Phase III.
- Waterfront Independence Festival draws more than 150,000 people.
- Riverview Park announced.
- Poe Development announced RiverPark Place development.
- Construction started on Phase III.
- Lincoln Memorial completed.
- Phase III (except for the Big Four® Pedestrian Bridge and ramp) completed.
- Big Four® ramp completed.
- Big Four Lawn opened.
- U of L Rowing Facility opened.
- Construction began on the Big Four® Bridge.
- Big Four® Bridge opened to the public.
- Jeffersonville opened the Indiana ramp to the Big Four® Bridge.